Masking, put simply, is the art of isolating an element in an image from its background. It is one of the most essential concepts in graphic design and is the foundation for working with layers non-destructively. Although simple in concept, masking can be difficult to do well–but once you understand some essential concepts, this indispensable skill will open the door to many design options.
This course is an in-depth exploration of masking in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. We’ll start with basic concepts, then move on to each of the software applications exploring the masking techniques that are common and unique to each of them.
Photoshop, Illustrator & InDesign CS6 or later required to follow along with included project files.
- It is possible to use gradients in Pixel Masks for fading images out similarly to Feather effects in InDesign.
- The best combination for selecting hair in Photoshop is Color Range with Refine Edge with the Smart Radius option enabled.
- Masking can be used for creative compositional effects too. Try using a pixel mask on a Black and White adjustment layer and assign a stroke and drop shadow on it to create an interesting image in an image effect.
- A good example of using clipping masks in Photoshop is when you clip an image layer onto a text layer. This way the image will be only visible inside the text.
- There are two types of masks in Illustrator: Clipping mask and Opacity Mask. The main difference between them is that you can only create transitional or feathering effects with Opacity Masks.
Chapter I INTRODUCTION 20:39
- Basic Concept of Masking
- Basic Masking Workflow
Chapter II MASKING TECHNIQUES WITH PHOTOSHOP 53:17
- Masking Adjustments
- Creative Masking Example
- Masking with Gradients
- Masking Hair
- Masking Objects
- Effects with Vector Masks
- Clipping Mask
- Retouching with Masking
- Advanced Masking with Multiple Masks
Chapter III MASKING TECHNIQUES WITH ILLUSTRATOR 04:40
- Clipping Mask
- Opacity Mask
Chapter IV MASKING TECHNIQUES WITH INDESIGN 11:35
- Image in a Frame
- Clipping Mask with Frames
- Feather Effects
Martin Perhiniak is a Certified Adobe Design Master and Instructor He worked as a designer for companies like Disney, Warner Brothers, Cartoon Network, Sony Pictures, Mattel, and DC Comics. He is currently working in London as a designer and instructor, as well as providing a range of services from live online training to consultancy work to individuals worldwide.
“Do not compare yourself to your role models. Work hard and wait for the moment when others will compare them to you”
Frequently Asked Questions
Total Training is a pioneer in innovative online and DVD-based training for leading creative design, digital video, and office productivity software programs.
Ranging from casual hobbyists to the most seasoned professionals, our users quickly learn new software applications and broaden their knowledge of programs currently used. Narrated in an entertaining format by industry experts and leading authors, our video-based software training titles are critical tools for anyone wanting to learn tips, techniques, and best practices from the most respected names in the business.
We currently offer affordable subscriptions to our All-Access Library, which contains hundreds of courses, thousands of clips, and project files so users can follow along.