The updates to Photoshop CS4 include the Adjustments and Masks panel, the 3D commands, annotations, and an improved interface. In addition you will learn non-destructive color effects and color correction, how to set file format and image compression for use on the web, and how to create and apply special effects.
By the time you’ve finished watching Total Training for Adobe Photoshop CS4 Extended: Essentials, you will be proficient will the skills required for managing and manipulating images in Photoshop. You will know all about photo retouching, color correction and how to use the Quick Mask mode, work with selections, resize images and many more valuable and time saving techniques to use when working with Photoshop CS4.
- Five New Features covered in this title:
- Learn how to non-destructively adjust image color.
- Discover how to use layers to organize and lay out a poster.
- See how to create and apply special effects.
- Discover how to create and save intricate selections.
- Learn how to set file format and image compression for use on the web.
Chapter I: INTRODUCTION TO ADOBE PHOTOSHOP CS4 (55 min)
- Exploring the Toolbox
- The New CS4 Applications Bar & the Options Bar
- Exploring Panels & Menus
- Creating & Viewing a New Document
- Customizing the Interface
- Setting Preferences
- Zooming & Panning an Image
- Working with Multiple Images, Rulers, Guides & Grids
- Undoing Steps with History
- Adjusting Color with the New Adjustments Panel
- The New Masks Panel & Vibrance Color Correction Command
- The New Note Tool & the Save for Web & Devices Interface
- The New Auto-Blend & Auto-Align Layers Commands
- The New 3D Commands
Chapter II: EXPLORING ADOBE BRIDGE (16 min)
- Browsing Images in Bridge
- Metadata, Keywords & Filters
- Building Collections & Smart Collections
- Moving, Copying & Renaming Images
Chapter III: RESIZING & CROPPING IMAGES (29 min)
- Understanding Pixels & Resolution
- The Image Size Command
- Interpolation Options
- Resizing for Print & Web
- Cropping & Straightening an Image
- Adjusting Canvas Size & Canvas Rotation
Chapter IV: WORKING WITH BASIC SELECTIONS (38 min)
- Selecting with the Elliptical Marquee Tool
- Using the Magic Wand & Free Transform Tool
- Selecting with the Regular & Polygonal Lasso Tools
- Combining Selections
- Using the Magnetic Lasso Tool
- Using the Quick Selection Tool & Refine Edge
- Modifying Selections
Chapter V: GETTING STARTED WITH LAYERS (55 min)
- Understanding the Background Layer
- Creating, Selecting, Linking & Deleting Layers
- Locking & Merging Layers
- Copying Layers, Using Perspective & Layer Styles
- Filling & Grouping Layers
- Introduction to Blending Modes
- Blending Modes, Opacity & Fill
- Creating & Modifying Text
Chapter VI: PAINTING IN PHOTOSHOP (43 min)
- Using the Brush Tool
- Working with Colors & Swatches
- Creating & Using Gradients
- Creating & Working with Brushes
- Using the Pencil & Eraser Tools
- Painting with Selections
Chapter VII: PHOTO RETOUCHING (31 min)
- The Red Eye Tool
- The Clone Stamp Tool
- The Patch Tool & the Healing Brush Tool
- The Spot Healing Brush Tool
- The Color Replacement Tool
- The Toning & Focus Tools
- Painting with History
Chapter VIII: INTRODUCTION TO COLOR CORRECTION (25 min)
- Color Spaces & Color Modes
- The Variations Command
- The Auto Commands
- Adjusting Levels
- Adjust Curves, Non-Destructively, with Adjustment Layers
Chapter IX: USING QUICK MASK MODE (13 min)
- Quick Mask Options
- Painting a Selection
- Saving & Removing a Selection from the Background
Chapter X: WORKING WITH THE PEN TOOL (18 min)
- Understanding Paths & the Pen Tool
- Creating Straight & Curved Paths
- Creating Combo Paths
- Creating a Clipping Path
Chapter XI: CREATING SPECIAL EFFECTS (27 min)
- Getting Started with Photoshop Filters
- Smart Filters
- Creating Text Effects
- Applying Gradients to Text
Chapter XII: EXPORTING YOUR WORK (16 min)
- Saving with Different File Formats
- Saving for Web & Devices
- Printing Options
Geoff Blake is a Toronto-based author, trainer, designer, and artist. For the past ten years, he’s provided a wide range of graphic design, artwork, consulting, in-class training, and web design services.
A professional public speaker since 1997, Geoff has taught desktop publishing, web design ,and graphics courses in both the corporate and post-secondary environments, working closely with some of the largest training providers and colleges in the Toronto area. His appearances, in-class training, and consulting have taken him throughout North America, where he’s built a solid reputation for delivering otherwise jargony material in a fun, enjoyable, and entertaining way.
With his diverse print and web experience, he regularly contributes to magazines and web sites, and is currently working on a series of print, web, and design books—penning Ten Ton Dreamweaver in 2006 with Peachpit Press, and following up with Ten Ton Flash, which is in current production.
Geoff is very comfortable with modern digital and pre-press print preparation, cutting edge web design techniques, and software/hardware troubleshooting. Throughout his career, he’s provided expert training and support for a variety of applications, including Microsoft Office, Dreamweaver, Flash, Photoshop, Acrobat, InDesign, Illustrator.
You can visit Geoff online at tentonbooks.com, where he posts his latest tricks, techniques, reviews, and other discoveries in the ever-expanding world of technology.