After Effects guru, Brian Maffitt gives you an overview of the power of After Effects CS6, the industry-standard video-compositing, motion-graphics-design and animation tool. Review the After Effects workflow and see how it integrates with the Creative Suite, how it can be used in television and film to create special effects, how to composite scenes with blue/green screen keying, and complete creative tasks like drawing, 3D, and titles.
This After Effects CS6: Introduction & New Features series takes a closer look at the latest and greatest new features of After Effects CS6, including the Global Performance Cache, 3D Camera Tracker, Ray-traced 3D, Variable Mask Feathering, 3D Environment Maps, 3D Material options, Rolling Shutter Repair, and more.
- Get an introduction to Ray-traced 3D with an in-depth look at extruded vector layers
- Discover the new Mask Feather tool and why it’s so important
- Examine 3D bendable layers and their properties
- Transform a 2D layer into an Environment Layer and discover what an Environment Map is
- What is After Effects? (97 min)
- Basic workflow and terminology
- Project and Flowchart Panels
- Composition and Layer Panels
- The Timeline
- The Preview Panel
- Enhanced performance
- New and updated effects
- Working in 3D
- Optimizing for high performance
- Global Performance Cache
- 3D Camera Tracker
- Introduction to Ray-traced 3D
- Ray-traced 3D, extruded text, and shapes
- Variable Mask Feathering, Part 1
- Variable Mask Feathering, Part 2
- 3D Bendable Footage and Composition Layers
- 3D Environment Map
- 3D New Material options
- Fast draft preview renderer
- Fast previews
- Layer Bounding Boxes and Selection Indicators
- Vector Footage Art-to-Shape conversion with ILCS6
- Rolling Shutter Repair
Total Run Time: 1.5 hrs
Brian Maffitt brings a singularly diverse background to presenting and directing. As a former professional actor, photographer, carpenter, and Graceland Tour Guide, he jumped on board the computer graphic revolution in the late 1980s. He founded MAFF/x in 1993 and won several awards for video production, interactive design, and animation. Brian also co-founded Atomic Power Corporation and released two award-winning sets of software plugins for After Effects, “Psunami”, and “Evolution”. The latter was acquired by Adobe in 2001 and is now included with every copy of After Effects sold, and has been featured prominently in untold commercials and films,including Pixar’s Academy Award-winning “The Incredibles”.
A combination of communication skills and computer proficiency made video training a natural progression. As Total Training’s co-founder and Chief Creative Officer, he is devoted to great training, crafted by an extraordinary creative team, for exceptional customers. And if he can occasionally make you smile (or roll your eyes) along the way, so much the better.
Frequently Asked Questions
Total Training is a pioneer in innovative online and DVD-based training for leading creative design, digital video, and office productivity software programs.
Ranging from casual hobbyists to the most seasoned professionals, our users quickly learn new software applications and broaden their knowledge of programs currently used. Narrated in an entertaining format by industry experts and leading authors, our video-based software training titles are critical tools for anyone wanting to learn tips, techniques, and best practices from the most respected names in the business.
We currently offer affordable subscriptions to our All-Access Library, which contains hundreds of courses, thousands of clips, and project files so users can follow along.