Learn how to design successfully for print using Adobe CS3 Print Workflow.
With print production specialist Claudia McCue as your host for this Adobe CS3: Print Workflow series, you’ll learn what it takes to get your designs printed. You’ll also explore various techniques to maximize your designs in Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Acrobat and how to edit graphics in a PDF.
- Find out how to plan your designs for a successful print — learn how to build to final trim size.
- Discover how to easily edit graphics in a PDF.
- Create Live Effects and use Live Color in Adobe Illustrator.
- Learn how to handle graphics and optimize effects for print using Adobe InDesign.
- Explore the Print Production tools in PDF including Output Preview, Preflight Profiles, and Ink Manager.
Chapter I: PHOTOSHOP FOR PRINT (46 min)
- Adding Spot Color
- Creating a Spot Varnish
- Explaining Alpha Channels
- Creating Density Masks
- Creating a Silhouette
- Explain Different File Types
- Saving & Comparing Different File Types
Chapter II: ILLUSTRATOR FOR PRINT (28 min)
- Creating Live Effects
- Using the Appearance & Stroke Palettes
- Using Live Color
- Sharing Swatches
- Opening Legacy Files
Chapter III: GRAPHICS IN INDESIGN (46 min)
- Creating an Object Style & Frame Fitting Options
- Good & Bad Ways to Place Images
- Copying & Pasting from Illustrator
- Updating Missing Links
- Using InDesign Files as Artwork & Editing the File
- Using Overprint Preview
- Hiding Layers in the Object Layer Options
- Adjusting Scaling Percentage
Chapter IV: USING EFFECTS (18 min)
- Using Bevel and Emboss
- Creating a Gradient Feather
- Using Effects with Spot Color
- Imaging Transparency Successfully
Chapter V: FINDING & FIXING PROBLEMS (22 min)
- Using Separations Preview
- Using the Flattener Preview
- Using the Ink Manager
- Troubleshooting Tips
- Checking Document History & Using Interchange
Chapter VI: USING PREFLIGHT & PACKAGE (21 min)
- Preflight Setting & Menu Options
- Preparing Your Document for Packaging
- Packaging Your Document
Chapter VII: EXPORTING TO PDF (34 min)
- Creating a PDF for Print
- Explaining PDF/X-1a for Print
- PDF Export Settings
- Creating a PDF for Online Viewing
- Comparing PDFs
- Making a Bad PDF
Chapter VIII: USING THE PRINT PRODUCTION TOOLS (50 min)
- Overview of the Print Production Toolbar
- Using Output Preview
- Using the Ink Manager
- Using the Convert Colors Tool
- Using Preflight Profiles
- Using Fixups
- Creating & Using Droplets
- Using the TouchUp Object Tool
- Using the Comment & Markup Toolbar
- Summarizing Comments
Chapter IX: TIPS & TRICKS (42 min)
- Using the Filter Feature of Bridge
- Expanding Artwork in Illustrator
- Selecting & Aligning Points in Illustrator
- Using Envelope Distort in Illustrator
- Entering Values in Fields in InDesign
- Using Math in Panels in InDesign
- Experimenting with Fonts in InDesign
- Using Layout Adjustment in InDesign
- Using the B&W Conversion in Photoshop
- Using the Quick Selection Tool in Photoshop
- Using Displacement Maps in Photoshop
- Extracting a Vector Logo from Acrobat
- Final Comments & Credit
Total Run Time: 5.1 hrs
Claudia McCue incorporates more than 20 years of traditional and digital prepress production experience in her current incarnation as a consultant, trainer, and author devoted to the graphic arts industry. Claudia’s company provides custom onsite training for a national client base of design firms, printing companies and marketing professionals. Practicalia’s clients include MTV Networks, Lowe’s Home Improvement, Orvis, BBDO, Lexmark, and The College Board.
Claudia is the author of Real World Print Production (Peachpit Press, 2006), a contributor to InDesign Magazine, Dynamic Graphics Magazine, and HOW Magazine, and a frequent presenter at industry conferences. She is an Adobe Certified Instructor for Photoshop, Acrobat, and InDesign.
Frequently Asked Questions
Total Training is a pioneer in innovative online and DVD-based training for leading creative design, digital video, and office productivity software programs.
Ranging from casual hobbyists to the most seasoned professionals, our users quickly learn new software applications and broaden their knowledge of programs currently used. Narrated in an entertaining format by industry experts and leading authors, our video-based software training titles are critical tools for anyone wanting to learn tips, techniques, and best practices from the most respected names in the business.
We currently offer affordable subscriptions to our All-Access Library, which contains hundreds of courses, thousands of clips, and project files so users can follow along.