Total Training for Adobe Flash Catalyst CS5.5 Essentials will teach you the process and workflow for building user interfaces for Flex-based websites and applications. Built for designers, Flash Catalyst combines an intuitive user interface and the familiar Adobe toolset with the expressiveness, consistency, and reach of the Adobe Flash Platform. In this course, you will wireframe an application, design the user interface, create components, add interactions, integrate sound and video, connect data, and understand how the round-trip workflow with a developer working in Flash Builder.
By the time you are done with this training you will understand how to import user interface designs from Photoshop or Illustrator. How to create an interactive wireframe in Flash Catalyst, create and modify view states and skin a user interface with full-fidelity artwork. You’ll also be able to round-trip and edit art in Photoshop and Illustrator, create interactive components and define component states, interactions and transitions. Then preview, test and publish your project.
- Full designer to developer and return workflow allows ongoing collaboration on the same project.
- Resizable applications and components means websites and apps look great across devices with different screen sizes.
- Workspace improvements include enhanced timelines and animations, new common Library panel, align panel, and other features.
- Custom skinnable components are elements that are built by developers in Flash Builder 4.5 and then skinned by a designer in Flash Catalyst CS5.5.
- Improved interactions in this recent version of Flash Catalyst means you can visually target components directly from the artboard, making it easier to define transitions to other component states.
Chapter I: INTRODUCING ADOBE FLASH CATALYST CS5.5 (9 min)
- What is Flash Catalyst CS5.5?
- Designer/Developer Workflows
- Using the Project Files
Chapter II: PROJECT BASICS (35 min)
- Touring the Flash Catalyst Interface
- Building a New Project Based on an Illustrator® File
- Layer Organization & Custom Components
- Creating Resizable Layouts
- Previewing a Project
Chapter III: BUILDING NAVIGATION (32 min)
- Editing a Common Button Component
- Creating a Button Component from Custom Artwork
- Labeling Components & Creating States
- Adding Interaction for Navigation
Chapter IV: ADDING FULL FIDELITY DESIGN (31 min)
- Round-Trip Editing & Customizing a Design
- Skinning Button States & Parts
- Optimizing Artwork
Chapter V: ANIMATING USER INTERACTIONS (32 min)
- Adding Fades & Moving Transitions between States
- Adding Resize & Rotate 3D Transitions
- Triggering Transitions with an FLV Timer
- Triggering Animations with Action Sequences
Chapter VI: DATA & COMPONENTS (48 min)
- Placeholder Components
- Editing Button, Text Input & Check Box Components
- Customizing Scrollbar & Data List Components
- Using Non-Editable Flex® Components
- Tips for Working with Components
Chapter VII: SOUND, VIDEO & FLASH CONTENT (21 min)
- Adding Sound
- Working with Video
- Working with Flash Professional SWF Files
Chapter VIII: WORKING WITH DEVELOPERS IN FLASH BUILDER® (30 min)
- Designing Components Using Imported Placeholder Skins
- Creating a Skinnable Component for Use in Flash Builder
- Working with FXP Files between Flash Builder & Flash Catalyst
- Working with FXPL Files between Flash Builder & Flash Catalyst
Chapter IX: COMMON DESIGN SCENARIOS (53 min)
- Setting Up a Banner & Navigation Buttons
- Adding a Video Timer & Interactions for a Timed Banner
- Setting Up an Image Gallery
- Laying Out the Images in the Custom Component
Chapter X: PUBLISHING YOUR PROJECT (20 min)
- Optimizing Files in Your Project
- Publishing Content for the Browser & as a Desktop Application
- Online Resources, Help & Community
Total Run Time: 5.2 hrs
Tanya is owner, visual communication designer, and education consultant for Numen Communications Inc., based in Ottawa, Canada. With over 10 years of experience working for companies such as Macromedia, Adobe, and Apple, Tanya collaborates with marketing and product teams to create world-class education products, curriculum, and learning content.
Frequently Asked Questions
Total Training is a pioneer in innovative online and DVD-based training for leading creative design, digital video, and office productivity software programs.
Ranging from casual hobbyists to the most seasoned professionals, our users quickly learn new software applications and broaden their knowledge of programs currently used. Narrated in an entertaining format by industry experts and leading authors, our video-based software training titles are critical tools for anyone wanting to learn tips, techniques, and best practices from the most respected names in the business.
We currently offer affordable subscriptions to our All-Access Library, which contains hundreds of courses, thousands of clips, and project files so users can follow along.